1.- The Pirineos Mountain Film Festival aims to promote mountain, adventure and nature related short films under artistic criteria underpinned by the screenplay and filmmaking.
2.- It is organized by the Huesca International Film Festival Foundation.
3.- The 2nd edition of the Pirineos Mountain Film Festival, the first one that introduces a contest, will be held from February 20 to 26, 2023 in the city of Huesca.
III. GENERAL CONDITIONS
4.- The Festival is open to fiction, documentary, and animation short films, related to mountains, adventure and nature. Tourism-oriented films and advertising short films are excluded.
5.- Authors may submit as many short films as they wish. The registration for the Festival is free (the cost of the Festhome platform service is independent) during this first year, therefore the only payment required to register is the platform fee.
6.- Only works made after January 1, 2019, may be submitted.
7.- The films will be presented in their original language. If the original version of the films is not Spanish or English, they must be subtitled in Spanish or English.
8.- The maximum duration shall not exceed 30 minutes.
9.- A diverse and qualified jury committee will oversee the selection of the short films that will be part of the contest. The results of the selection will be communicated to the person indicated on the registration form.
10.- All registered short films must comply with the following rules:
- The registration deadline is on November 30, 2022, at 11:59 p.m.
- Registration will be done online through the “Festhome” platform (www.festhome.com) by filling in all its mandatory sections. The participant will be responsible for the expenses stemming from the Festhome platform.
- On this platform, the applicant should create en account and upload the video file with embedded subtitles in English and/or Spanish, in the case of works whose original version is not in any of those languages.
- The participants who might have problems to register online, due to their geographical location or conflicts in the country, may request to participate in the short film competition by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
V. SELECTED SHORT FILMS, SUBMISSION AND SCREENING COPIES
11.- After the selection notification, the master copies of the selected short films must be sent within the requested period. The Festival will use them to generate the required digital files and projection DCPs.
- The copy must be clean of subtitles
- The corresponding dialogue subtitles must be attached in SRT format files, in Spanish and English (see note)
- Preferred resolutions: 2k FLAT (1998×1080), 2k SCOPE (2048×858), 2k FULL (2048×1080) and HD (1920×1080) (see note)
- Preferred Codecs: ProRes with 10-bit color depth and 2.2 gamma
- Frame rates: 24p, 25p, 30p (DCP standard, see note)
- Sound: stereo (order: L,R or L,R,C) or 5.1 (order: L,R,C,Lfs,Ls,Rs) integrated uncompressed
Note on subtitles: the Festival’s technical team will generate the projection copy with embedded subtitles. During this process, the synchronization of the subtitles will be carried out automatically and every effort will be made to verify that everything is right. However, the technical team will not make any manual adjustments to synchronize subtitles that have not been properly created. We therefore recommend, before sending the files, to doublecheck that the start and end timecodes of each subtitle coincide with the corresponding dialogues and that the reading time of each one is sufficient.
Note on resolution: the screenings of the Festival are made in 2k resolution, therefore the masters sent in higher resolutions such as 4k will be converted to generate a 2k DCP with the corresponding or more appropriate frame format.
Note on frame rates: exceptionally, non-standard frame rates, provided they are in progressive mode, will be accepted. Frame rates, such as 23.98 and 29.97 will be converted to the closest standard rate.
12.- The festival reserves the right to request additional screening copies in other formats according to its technical needs. Any material sent with technical characteristics other than the aforementioned must be previously agreed with the Festival.
13.- The Festival must have received the selected short films before December 20, 2022. The files will be sent through the specific server that the festival will make available to the authors for that purpose. The sending date must be communicated by e-mail: email@example.com
14.- If not previously uploaded, the selected films must provide, by mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), a file with an EPK (Electronic Press Kit) with:
- Three representative frames or photographs of the short film and a photograph of the director. The preferred format will be a digital file, 300 dpi, JPEG or Tiff with an approximate size of 10×15 cm,
- Bio-filmography of the director in up to 600 characters
- And fully filled in registration template (that will be sent to you), within the requested time.
15.- The participants authorize the organization of the Festival to use fragments of the selected works for their broadcast and publication in any media to promote the Festival. Likewise, the Festival may use photographs of the short films and directors, in the press and other media, as well as in the Festival catalogue.
16.- The selected works will be screened during the competition on the scheduled dates of the Festival (from February 20 to 26, 2023) in the city of Huesca so that they can be exhibited and assessed by the members of the jury assigned, and the audience.
17.- The selected short films will become part of the archive of the Huesca International Film Festival Foundation and private viewings will be authorized for educational or research purposes.
18.- Any work that does not offer the necessary technical guarantees for a proper public screening may be rejected.
19.- Taking part in the Festival implies the consent to broadcast pieces of the works displayed on Spanish television channels and on the Internet.
20.- A qualified jury will decide on awarding the prizes and trophies among all the short films selected for the official section. Their decision will be unappealable.
21.- The members of the jury will be designated by the official venues of the Festival and approved by the Festival Management.
- Award for Best Short Film.
Diploma and €3,000
- Award for Best Adventure and Sports Short Film.
Diploma and €1,500
- Award for Best Short Film on Culture and Nature.
Diploma and €1,500
- Award for Best Animated Short Film.
Diploma and/or trophy awarded by the town of Benasque
- Best Screenplay Award.
Diploma and/or trophy awarded by the town of Jaca
- Audience Award.
Diploma and/or trophy awarded by the town of Boltaña
- Award for the best Ibero-American Short Film.
Diploma and/or trophy awarded by the town of Barbastro
The jury may award special mentions if it deems it appropriate.
VIII. ABOUT THE AWARDS
22.- None of the prizes outlined in the Contests may be awarded to two participants, nor may they be void.
23.- All the prizes will be awarded to film directors, except for the screenplay award which will be awarded to the screenwriter.
IX. SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS
24.- Participants shall be responsible for the non-infringement of the rights of third parties related to the production of the registered film.
25.- Any registration implies acceptance of these Regulations.
26.- The Pirineos Mountain Film Festival will resolve in its unappealable judgment, any eventuality not specified in these Regulations.
27.- These regulations will be published in Spanish and English. For any matter related to language interpretation, the reference text will be the Spanish version.
X. PMFF TOUR
The short films received may be selected to be part of the PMFF Tour (Pirineos Mountain Film Festival Tour), an itinerant exhibition that will be held in other locations throughout Spain.
The Huesca International Film Festival Foundation will contact the rightsholders of the works selected for the Tour in order to meet an agreement on their participation and define the licensing conditions, including royalties.
Huesca, October 10, 2022